Sunday, April 07, 2013

E-Mail con job! Beware!

I received an email a few days ago and the content is like this:
------------
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:40:32 -0700
From: xxxxxxhoo@yahoo.com
Subject: Bad Vacation Trip...........xxxxxxxxHoo
To: 

Hello,

 I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about my trip, because it was important. I had to be in Manila,Philippines  for a program. The program was successful, but my journey has turned sour. I misplaced my wallet on my way back to my hotel  after I went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables I had. Now, my passport is in custody of the hotel  management pending when I make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a  loan of  ($1,900)  to settle out my hotel bills, I promise to refund it back as soon as I get back home because I still have  some cash in my account but I cant access any here right now, I've already canceled my credit card and am at the public  internet library where am making use of the free internet access, I will forever be grateful if you can help me. Waiting to hear  from you quickly because my flight leaves in couple of hours but I need to settle the  hotel bills.


Many Thanks

Surname.
--------------

When you receive this type of email, you will notice a few things:
1. My friend never address me with "Hello"
2. My friend never sign off with his surname only
3. He never went to Manila
4. Why would anyone lost everything in the wallet but not the credit card and why would a smart guy like my friend in question would cancel his credit card?! Doesn't make sense!
5. When you do a reply, look at the receiver email: xxxxxxh0o@yahoo.com
The crook changed the email address slightly and replace one of the "o" with a "0"!

So, there are many clue to tell you that this is a con job! Just ignore it. A phone call confirmed everything.
Make sure that you quickly change your email password!

2 comments:

matthew said...

Yes,I also received a call,telling me that my credit card at BSN was over dued for 3 months.But the matter is I never use credit card.

William said...

Matthew, yes, you need to be really careful nowadays. Thief everywhere!