Thursday, January 01, 2009

My trip to Sibu & Sarikei

After much debating, we finally decided to go to Sibu and Sarikei. So early on 28 Dec 2008 (Monday) we packed up and manage to start our journey at 12:30PM and arriving in Sibu at 7:00PM.
The drive was no where near to comfortable. A stretch of about 50 KM, the road was like a roller coaster and it was extremely difficult to drive. Then, around Selangau, the road has so many holes.
Along the way, it was raining extremely heavily.

The rain was literally pouring!
The main reasons why we make the trip was because we wanted to see Eric's organic farm and also visit my other siblings in Sarikei.
There are major changes in Sibu and Sarikei.

A huge new market and some shopping complex...

We were there at 7:30PM. So all traders had gone home for the day. But we were there for...

...food on the first floor. See what we ordered... spare ribs...

A small fish... in sweet and sour sauce...

... taufu soup...

... kangkong and a mixed vege. Guess how much it cost us... well, total RM37 only!! I almost fall off my chair! It fed 5 of us well. Rice included.

The trip to Sarikei has been made very easy. The Lanang Road ferry had been replaced by this bridge. It was built by one of the local companies in a record time.

This was the ferry the bridge replace. Previously, the queue was easily one hour and many hours during festive seasons.

Talking about bridge, this long overdue bridge over the Sg Nyelong (Nyelong river) was finally completed. I used to cross to the other side via ferry while I was a kid. Now, going to Bintangor through this way is extremely fast. It took me 50 minutes to reach Sibu!

One of the most interesting building everywhere is like the one above... it is swiftlets rearing for bird nest! This is one of the massive building. I bet the swiftlets have better life now as they no longer need to live in cave or power line.

This is the raw bird nest harvested. My sister told me that this one will not fetch good price because it is only "half size". Full size bird nest can fetch RM3000 per kg. Used to be RM4000.
The dark elements are the feathers and the final product will have all the feathers removed.
... to be continued
... Thanks to Daniel Yiek for pointing out that the birds are swiftlets.

5 comments:

Mrcoolku said...

Welcome to Sibu. Sibu got nothing besides eat. If you don't eat, then it is just a waste! :)

FM Luder said...

The first bridge photo looks like it has no road at the other side of it - a sixty foot drop maybe?

I had no idea bird's nest was a valuable thing! I've seen it in a canned drink before...

Borneo Falcon said...

Looks like you haven't been to Sibu for a very long time.

Lynn said...

My family and I went back Sarikei too last week. We took off ard 5.30AM and reached Sarikei at 12PM. Very tiring but worth it. Going back Sarikei is really fun. I miss the food there too.

William said...

MrCoolku, thanks. I didn't get to enjoy so much food but on the other hand, I think I have eaten enough. Food in Sibu is really much cheaper compared to Miri!

FM Luder, The bridge is tall and I think the drop is quite substantial. So, you won't see the other side.
Only this type of bird nest is valuable. The rest, made from grass and other "rubbish" are only valuable to the constructor.

Borneo Falcon, ya, actually I last went back 2 years ago but didn't really go into Sibu. So there may be a lot of changes which I didn't notice.

Lynna, I took a few photos of Sarikei. Quite a lot of changes. I was there reflecting on my childhood... I will post them on my upcoming blog.