Wednesday, January 07, 2009

My Hometown #2 - Limbang

We decided to go back to Limbang on 3rd Jan 2009. Going to Limbang and returning has always been a nightmare because of the custom and immigration checkpoints. From Miri, we need to cross Sg. Tujuh into Brunei and then exit at the other end at Kuala Lurah.
To our pleasant surprise, there were no queues at the checkpoints and also when we return. The last time we were there a year ago, we had to wait for 3 hours to cross!

My second brother stays along the road from Brunei into Limbang. So I stopped at his place first at 6:15PM. It was dark and raining. He has aged quite a bit since I last met him. He is a farmer and is always very proud that he can plant greens with literally no pesticide. This time, I haven't got the opportunity to check out his store to verify his claim! Haha... not that I don't trust him but it is always nice to hear him boasting about his capability!

He told us that the government gave him a tent to his design free of charge to sell his produce. I must say that this FAMA tent is very well built and attractive.

He claimed that this miracle plant from Taiwan can cure all kind of diseases. It will flower soon and bears berries. I will find out more when I next visit him.

He told us that the base of this matured plant can be used to treat knee joint problem, etc. If I remember correctly, the round base is to be soaked in wine ... how to use, I will find out next time. Or if anyone know, please do let me know.

He has 4500 dragon fruit trees! This pic shows just a part of the farm. I must say that I am impressed with the health of the plants. It is now the end of the fruit season but we got to savour a few of them. Sorry for the quality of this picture... it was literally dark when I took it.

His garden produce... vegetables. They are very green.

Next to visit was my fourth brother. I am proud that his sitting room is decorated with the graduation photos of all of his children! They all managed to study in UK for a short time to get a degree... His eldest daughter is still in London married to a white man!

Their daughter went to Kota Kinabalu and brought back some mangosteen also known as "The Queen of Fruit" (The king of fruit is the durian). The three boys love it so much and instead of having one fruit each, they help themselves to two!

Finally we arrive at grandma's house. Unfortunately she went to sleep early, or rather we arrived late at almost 10:00PM! While in her sitting room, mummy reminded us about this special table which she used it as her study table since her primary school days. So, this table is about 40 years old!

The next morning, we went out to the market to buy some food and also to visit my relatives at the market place. This is my third sister eldest daughter, Ung Hee. She is still her happy self, children grown up and mostly graduated also. She is still in her poultry business! Business must be reasonable.

But looking in the opposite direction, which is the pork market, Limbang has literally no pork for sale!!! There is no large scale pig farm there and the only pork is from outstation, frozen!

When I left Limbang in 1973, there were only a few rows of shops. Now, you see high rises. Limbang river is still quite busy.

... with motorised boats to fetch passengers to go across or somewhere...

Grandma (my mother-in-law) must be 90 now. She still looks strong but suffer from severe osteoporosis. So, she is suffering from pain and constant medication.

She has collapsed or compression fracture of the vertebrae or spine. This is the x-ray of her spine and you can see the vertebrae in the centre of the picture which have been "compressed". So, ladies (maybe men also), please take good calcium supplement or consult your doctor as this thing may also happen to you.

By the way, I moved to Limbang in 1971 and stayed there for only two years.

... more updates soon. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

EstherHuiLee said...

I miss Limbang peaceful and relax life.
A small town, like everyone know each other.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

I taught in Limbang in 1974. So I just missed you by one year. But I taught your brother and sister in law. Your brother is a good photographer like you.

Mykkon said...

limbang look nice ler. MMhhh got chance sure go there and have a see and see. Thanks for sharing :O)

Mrcoolku said...

Never been to limbang but my father and my sisters were born in limbang. Then they move to miri and finally sibu whr i was borned.

Hope to visit there one day. :)

FM Luder said...

Always nice to revisit your roots =)

I hope your mother-in-law isn't in too much pain and she can continue enjoying her life. Thanks for the reminder to look after our bodies.

Ensurai said...

This is a revisit to your posting on Limbang.
I hope your mother in law's lumbar compression is better. It is a very painful problem and medication is terribly steep!! I know because my mother has the same problem too...after lifting a flower pot!