Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Professional Cameras

Professional camera! Take a look at this Hasselblad. When I was in my teen, I got the brochure from the Malaysian Distributor, Shriro. I was instantly impressed with it. Then that camera cost a bomb and I told my friend that I can never afford to buy it. He was impressed and a few years later, he got the company to buy one for his work. Lucky him!

So this is my dream digital camera! Will I ever be able to part such a sum for this baby - wait and see whether I can save enough money. But dream is dream.... without dream, it is dead!
I was using one of these professional LINHOF cameras during my teen for my studio photography. Customer came in and expect to see a huge plate camera made in China. But they were disappointed that we use such a "tiny" one.

But the sharpness and quality was so fantastic that it could beat any camera at that time. So, one day, I proudly showed my elderly customer her passport size photo. To my amazement, her face turned black and said... "this is not me" and almost thrown the photos in my face!!! Hahaha... lesson learnt... don't show too much details on the face. So, I was disappointed with our "good" camera.
I also have to make a declaration here... photography 30+ years ago was very different from today. Last time, we arrange everyone up... and 1...2...3...click. Good candid shots was almost non-existence. We all look for perfect arrangement and everyone - head, hands, legs, body, tie, etc, were in "perfect order". At that time, film was expensive and cameras were owned by a few.
Nowadays, I have to re-learn... so I am a beginner in "creative photography".
Now, with digital photography, retouching has become such an easy job. With just a few clicks, I can easily rewind the clock back by years! See this... can you spot the difference:


This is the original..

After retouch...all imperfections were gone, "perfect" smile and even the shape of the face is slightly changed.

7 comments:

lasapka said...

i think these days, new kid buy and rely on system for photography instead of gear.

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, the super megapixel sizes and details don't matter too much for protrait shots, it's the computer retouch finishing that does the trick.. :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, some people tend to live in a world of fantasy and think that they look a lot different than they actually appear. It's so tempting to show them a mirror especially once after they rejected your shots..

William said...

Ian, I won't be brave enough to show them a mirror. But I will help them to continue living in a world of fantasy. After all, this is part of the fun! hahaha...
Megapixel is quite important for professional camera. Because, without resolution, it is difficult to do a fine job of retouching and also showing details. Again, it depends on the nature of photography. Sometimes, high resolution is a must. Again there are many factors involved, eg, lens, engine, sensor size, etc. However, for non-pro camera, higher resolution means nothing. No one

AT, you are using camera phone leh... so it is just like one of those multipurpose tools which cannot perform well in anything other than convenience. Like I said earlier, good DSLR can be quite cheap now. You don't need to save for 40 years like me... just joking with you lah.

For me, I am facing a serious problem... I just cannot accept other lower end camera to take pictures. So I have been poisoned!

Ian is good in photography too.

Anonymous said...

William, I shoot for fun only, nothing more..

Well, a pro-level camera is definitely a must, but then again, not the megapixels. Nowadays you can find compact digitals selling with 8 megapixels and above, but in all seriousness they can't hold a candle to a 5 megapixel DSLR of 5 years ago... that was what I was trying to say.

As for the mirrors, well, sometimes it's really a pain having to deal with people living in their own fantasies and bugging us having to put up with it. :D

William said...

Ian, ya, agree with what you say. In fact, 5-6 mega pixel is more than enough for non-pro digicam.

By the way, I found that there are a lot of "pro" who are using rather good digicam produces bad result. So, skill and knowing the gear also play a big part. Well, just continue learning and we will continue to improve.

Mirror.... mirror... who is the fairer... hahaha. Actually I didn't realise that I am 50+ now! I still enjoy very much "playing" with you all.

AT, fill your mouth with words of encouragement. Then the soul will be enriched. hahahaha.

Soul Hart said...

Ian.. You're definitely right abt the mirror...