Thursday, September 04, 2008

My First Experience in Surgery
I had delayed in going to see doctor regarding my pile for the last 24 years. This was all because of a bad experience with a doctor. The situation was manageable, ie, nothing serious until early August. Then one fine day, I pushed too hard and caused tear on the pile. It bled and then a day later, I had diarrhea and that was when real problem started. The pile became so "sensitive" and unbearably painful. Anyway, the rest of the story was now history.
I was wheeled into the operation theater at 2:00PM. I never knew that it could happen so quickly. I was completely unprepared. But that was not important. I told the nurses that I could walk and I prefer to walk myself! Can you imagine a strong man being put on a trolley and pushed around? I thought that this was some sort of child play! Hahaha...
In the operation theater, the doc must be trying to convinced me to go for lower body anaesthestic only. So I asked question like "What are the side effects and what is the chances". So, the following are the possible side effects, true or not, I also don't know:
1. Back pain. This is post surgery problem and could last for a very long time; may even be permanent. Chances? Slim but my colleague got it! But is this due to this procedure or not, I don't know.
2. Headache. Temporary post surgery problem. Problem can go away. Chances? Slim
3. Cannot urinate as the lower body is completely numb. High chance.
ok... #3 was my deciding point. I chose to go for GA. The only fear, which the doctor won't tell me was that there was a chance of me "not waking up anymore". But, I know that my time is not yet up and this will not happen to me.
When the drug was applied, I was told to keep my eyes open and look at the ceiling. Within seconds, my vision was blurred and I couldn't remember anything after that. When the doc called me, I saw many eyes looking down on me and I was told that it was all done.

It was so fast... 45 minutes only!

2 comments:

scummgrog said...

I'd hate to have a local anaesthetic - hearing them do the operation isn't my cup of tea.

I'm glad the operation all went well for you!

William said...

Thanks Phil. That is exactly one of reason why I don't like local anaesthetic. I prefer them to do it without me hearing everything. The thought may give me nightmare!
The post surgery pain is still there after a week. I hope to get well soon.