Thursday, August 07, 2008


Home Make Yogurt ... more information...
Picture above is home made yogurt with some honey.
I posted last week about making yogurt. I thought it was so easy that anyone can follow my simple instruction. However, there are more problems than I thought. For example, the "starter" yogurt is so expensive at RM23. Is there a cheaper method? Can any milk be used? So, I did some asking around and found that there are options:


I remember that the above used to be marketed via direct selling. Also, I was told that pharmacy also sell lactic bacteria which can be used for making Yogurt. Check the "ingredients" above. The only active ingredient is Lactic bacteria. Just follow the direction above.
Anyway, here is the step by step (almost) guide using my method.

I use 8 tablespoons of the above as my yogurt "starter" to make 2 litres. This natural yogurt can be purchased from Boulevard Hypermarket (in Miri, Malaysia) or any large supermarket. I find it convenient.

I use the cheapest UHT milk I can find (oh, I got it from Brunei!) ... made in China (actually it was from Mongolia). Not sure whether this is available in Miri (or even Malaysia). If UHT milk can be used, milk powder should perform just as well.

Pour 2 litres into a pot (or as much as you wish) and heat it up to 80degC, while stirring occasionally and use low fire to prevent burn. (If you wish, you can bring it to boil. I use UHT milk - which mean the milk has been treated to ultra high temperature.).

Now, cool the milk down quickly to 40DegC. If you don't know how warm is 40degC, well, it is the temperature of your body when you have a fever. I hope you don't get 40degC fever too often!

Add 4 tablespoonful of "starter" for each litre of milk or follow your own calculation if you use a different amount of milk. Stir and mix well.

Leave it in a warm place and incubate for about 4 hours or until firm. (I leave mine in the oven switched to the lowest temperature)

This is how the completed product should look like. Refrigerate to stop incubation.

Post script: You don't really need a thermometer. You just make sure that you don't put in the culture (starter) when the milk is too hot. Otherwise, the friendly bacteria will all be cooked. 40degC is because the bacteria multiply best at that temperature. I bought my thermometer from CKTang in Singapore many years ago. I used it to make jam, conserve, etc. If I make again, I will share my recipe but unfortunately, it is not very healthy due to the huge amount of sugar needed.

My wish is to be able to sell my yogurt with my friend's organic fruit/juice. He should be opening his store in mid September. The only problem is that yogurt is quite expensive if I use fresh milk. Anyway, I will see what I can do and whether there is any demand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mr William Ting

Would like to ask you where to buy the "yogurt starter" and your cooking thermometer? I see that you are very good in cooking. I really admire you. Please do share more cooking how-to's in the future and i find this yogurt recipe very useful. Thanks a lot.

William said...

Hello, welcome to my blog. I thank you for finding my blog useful. That gives me incentive to continue writing.

I assume that you are from Miri. The Paul's plain yogurt can be bought from Boulevard Hypermarket or large supermarket.
If you are talking about the Yogourmet, I think the direct selling company is called New Life. My last purchase was 7 years ago. That package was a left over which I kept in my fridge.
http://www.lyo-san.ca/english/Default.htm

I bought my cooking thermometer from CKTang in Singapore many years ago. The thermometer is very useful especially if you are interested to make jam, conserve, etc.
Ok, I will share more how-to cooking.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can ask Eric to rear some cows and goats... hahaha... then you will have milk to make yogurt with him! hahahahaa.....

William said...

Esther, what you say is true. I should ask him to do that. You have brilliant business idea... hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your sharing, Mr William. Yes, i'm local. But grew up elsewhere.

I read that you have a friend who grows organic food. Do you know that you can freeze up the fruits and blend it together with yogurt to make your own healthy smoothies or maybe your own version of lassee. It tastes great!

Ai Mee