Monday, July 01, 2013

Emergency Light From Cooking Oil

Power supply from Sarawak Electricity Board seems to be more stable but when there is a power failure, it seems that it is more widespread and lasted for much longer time. During the last Thursday (27 Jun 2013) outage, many scrambled to buy candle or dry cell, until the whole town went out of supply!
But is candle the only viable "emergency light"? What sort of fuel is readily available that we can use? I read from the internet about making light from cooking oil and orange core. So, I gave this a try...
During my childhood days, kerosene is always used for lighting. But as electricity is getting more readily available, this oil is getting out of fashion besides being expensive.
Emergency light using orange skin is very simple:
1. Half an orange. Only one half can be use!
2. Take out the flesh carefully and not breaking the center core (I think it is called pith).
3. Put in cooking oil.
4. Use a candle (or whatever) to light up.
Note that lighting up using cooking oil and a wet core is not immediate. It may take up to a minute.
Beside being an emergency light, it also emit a nice smell.

If orange is not available, any container and a holder for a wick will do. Perhaps, I will give suggestion on an easy to make emergency light in future.

One thing you can now do is to collect some used cooking oil for emergency lighting use.

No comments: