Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My First Job - 28 Years Ago

When I first came back from UK in 1980, I ended up in Singapore. There were so many jobs there and I got 5 offers out of 7 job interviews. The pay was just under S$1000 for new graduate and after allowances, I got about S$1200. Thanks God that we didn't have to pay a lot for housing. But at the end of the month, I was mostly broke.

My first job was with Singtel. I was one of the project managers for Changi Airport Project Phase 1. This is the control tower.

From the top of the control tower, we have a good view of everything. See the runway 1 & 2 behind!


Can't remember what was this... Probably the flight information system.


This was the CCTV control centre.


I think this was the distance measuring radar.
When I got my first pay, I bought myself a watch which I am wearing until today!


Ya... This watch has been with me for 28 years. I think I paid S$220 for it.

5 comments:

i blog / u read said...

classic bw photos.

sarawakiana said...

Wow...nice to read about those days...and being broke after pay day!!

Like your bell bottoms and it is great to hear you have such a long lasting love for your watch...not an easily found value today.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year...

gammerth said...

woow. really classic the photo. Thanks for sharing :O)

FM Luder said...

First job = Project Manager! That's pretty good going! I think nowadays graduates tend to get stuck onto the bottom rung of the ladder. *Waves from bottom rung of ladder*

William said...

Phil, PM ah?! Name only lah. We are really doing only a portion of real project management. They should at least give me some basic training on project tracking, etc.