Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My First Job - 28 Years Ago

When I first came back from UK in 1980, I ended up in Singapore. There were so many jobs there and I got 5 offers out of 7 job interviews. The pay was just under S$1000 for new graduate and after allowances, I got about S$1200. Thanks God that we didn't have to pay a lot for housing. But at the end of the month, I was mostly broke.

My first job was with Singtel. I was one of the project managers for Changi Airport Project Phase 1. This is the control tower.

From the top of the control tower, we have a good view of everything. See the runway 1 & 2 behind!


Can't remember what was this... Probably the flight information system.


This was the CCTV control centre.


I think this was the distance measuring radar.
When I got my first pay, I bought myself a watch which I am wearing until today!


Ya... This watch has been with me for 28 years. I think I paid S$220 for it.

5 comments:

RWP said...

classic bw photos.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Wow...nice to read about those days...and being broke after pay day!!

Like your bell bottoms and it is great to hear you have such a long lasting love for your watch...not an easily found value today.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year...

Mykkon said...

woow. really classic the photo. Thanks for sharing :O)

FM Luder said...

First job = Project Manager! That's pretty good going! I think nowadays graduates tend to get stuck onto the bottom rung of the ladder. *Waves from bottom rung of ladder*

William said...

Phil, PM ah?! Name only lah. We are really doing only a portion of real project management. They should at least give me some basic training on project tracking, etc.