Monday, November 17, 2008

Gold, anyone?

Someone chatted with me on Skype last night and here is a string of dialogue (note: texts in [] are my comment):
JT says: hello my friend
WT says: hi
JT says: what is your name
WT says: Wxxxxx
WT says: You are James?
JT says: ok my james
WT says: from where?
JT says: from liberia
JT says: and u
WT says: Malaysia
[He tried to call me using voice]

WT says: My computer has no microphone
JT says: ok
JT says: but do this for me ok
JT says: can u
WT says: what is that
JT says: can u fine abyer for gold?
WT says: hahaha.... no money
JT says: ok
JT says: ok william i u there
JT says: u can send me e-mail in my box ok guxxxx58@yhoo.com
JT says: and my pho number +226-78-xx-xx-xx
[I went to the internet to check the origin of the phone and found something interesting. Also read something about that country.]
JT says: u can also give me yrs [Me thinking: No way man!]
JT says: ok
JT says: i u there
WT says: You are not from Liberia as you have previously claimed [The phone is registered in Burkina Faso]
JT says: what do m
WT says: You are from Fada? [The info on the internet even tell you which district]
JT says: no am a liberian [He may be a Liberian but not in Liberia]
JT says: my name is jxxxx txxx
JT says: ok
JT says: do u know liberia [He thought my geography is gone!]
WT says: yes... but you are now in Burkina Faso
JT says: yes
JT says: am now in burking [Now he knew that he is not dealing with just anyone]
WT says: ok
JT says: so i will see u tomorrow ok
WT says: your country produce very little gold [Imagine someone from Bau ask you to broker gold]
WT says: cu
JT says: no
JT says: my country have mor then mali [ya, but Mali probably has no gold at all]
JT says: please with for me ok
(A check found that Burkina produces very little gold. Liberia is on the coast south-west of Burkina which is north of Nigeria)

We have to be very careful, especially on those things we receive and read on the internet. Not everyone who chat is an angel even when they sound like one. We need to be on guard all the time. I have read countless case where people do all kind of thing for those virtual friend, including stripping themselves naked and show the body on the videocam! How stupid they can be. Personal information must not be reviewed. I posted this for learning by everyone.
In the same way, there are many con coming in the e-mail, sms and phone call. Don't entertain them or you will be suck in and drained dry. They will promise you millions in winning or entitlement but just remember, there is no free lunch from a stranger. Ask yourself, why should they call you if they don't even know who you are at the first place!

7 comments:

Kong said...

You chat with stranger on Skype? I don't.

lasapka said...

try to sell him bird nest next time

Anonymous said...

Haha..that's cool. Yeah,sell him bird nest next time.

William said...

hahaha... never thought about that. I shall ask him to broker about bird nest.

Kong: chat with stranger is ok. But be on guard never to review information which is personal, like phone number, etc.

Anonymous said...

lot of cases being cheated. last few months my neighbour's daughter was being cheated to befriend online with mat salleh somewhere in the europeon country. she was scammed. i think is about 5k. so beware of strangers.

Anonymous said...

yesterday my 72 year old mother who is in sarikei received sms from someone out there abt "taniah, taniah, u have won smthg, this and that". i told her to ignore the sms and don't reply. i told her the situation about my neighbour's daughter who was been conned through internet.

William said...

flower, good. never believe them!