Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pile post surgery management - my experience shared

I search the internet and found nothing on this topic. I asked my doctor yesterday and he told me that no patient would share their experience as they consider it too personal. However, I view this otherwise and would like to share my experience so that others will benefit.

This was what had been removed from me!
First, after this type of surgery, many people need sick leave for 7-30 days! For me, I didn't take a single day off! I thought this surgery was so simple that it shouldn't cause any problem. But this is partially true and partially false... depending on whether you know how to manage it.

Removing piles actually introduce open wound in the rectum and that faeces will rub on this open wound when you are using your ass hole daily. Actually this process itself did not cause much problem. But the aftermath may bring nightmare! The rectum will go into severe spasm (or pain) after roughly 2 hours. At that time, neither sit nor stand will relieve your pain. I felt like having a rock in my rectum. ok, fear not because my shared experience will relieve you of any pain.

Diet
1. Make sure that the diet consists of high fruit content. Pineapple is the best as this fruit contain anti-inflammatory property. Dragon fruit and papaya are also very good. Avoid guava and if you do take, you must not take the seed.
2. Avoid spicy stuff, eg, curry, chilli
3. Make sure that you drink at least 3 liters of water daily
4. Whatever you eat, eat slowly and bite well. You must never swallow bit and pieces of hard indigestible "food", eg, seed, bone. If you do swallow them, the rough bit will actually scratch the wound and cause much damage to you.
5. Drink plenty of fruit juice (about 500 cc/2 cups) rich in natural vitamin C. I took Dewland Orange Juice from South Africa. Vitamin C assists in healing.
The idea here is to ensure soft and smooth faeces and that you don't need to push when you are doing your business.

Shit business
1. Get up early in the morning and drink two cups of water
2. Go to the toilet when the urge demands it
3. Let the natural bowel movement takes it course rather than push
4. After you have finished, make sure that water (I prefer hot water) is used for cleaning instead of toilet paper
5. Sit and soak your ass in a basin of brine. I found that the western doctor suggested cold water. Chinese tradition always suggested warm water. I strongly recommend rather hot water (applicable for point 4 above) . Somehow, the hot water soothes the pain and helps healing. Later, I found that it was better not to sit inside a basin but use a small basin with the circumference just big enough to support your buttock, ie, not applying pressure on your ass. You sit on the basin touching the brine instead of sitting inside the basin.

Pain Management
Some two hours or less after your shit business, the rectum will go into a spasm and you will experience great pain. Don't panic! Just follow this instruction here... go to the toilet and sit down. You will find that the rectum will squeeze so hard and will excrete a little of the faeces out. I found that this little bit of faeces is the culprit in causing pain/spasm. Therefore, whenever the pain starts, could be every 2 hours or less in the morning, you just go to the toilet and let the body rid itself of all the waste.
The pain will disappear in minutes. Do this as often as required, ie, whenever there is pain. In my case, I usually need to relieve myself only once after the first instance. At most, I need 2 more times.

I was fully recovered in about 25 days. If I knew about the above, I think my recovery would be even faster. As a benchmark, my colleague stayed in hospital for 2 weeks and another 2 weeks of sick leave. A friend of mine had his surgery, spent over RM10K and was still in great pain after three months. He finally went to China to have a corrective surgery. He said that China has special preparation which the doctor would apply on the wound. There was no pain, and the wound dried up completely in 7 days! From a layman point of view, this means that the Chinese has better technology.

One last note, for those who are using toilet paper to clean up, I think it is high time to change to water for better hygiene especially if you have piles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good sharing u have here=)

hemorrhoids. i rmbrd one of my patient bleed because of those piles and he collapsed soon after. blood been transfused to safe his life.

I personally think warm brine water is better bcause it helps to vasodilate ur blood vessels which will encourage wound healing.

25 days to recover? like u said, if u know all those health education earlier, im sure u'll recover even faster=)

Orcagal said...

i had hemorrhoids last semester. it was external hemorrhoids. :( it was bleeding for roughly 2 weeks but thank God the bleeding wasn't alot la. but i couldn't sit so most of the time i was just standing or squatting. a real painful experience. after that, i promise to go toilet when i have the urge! i agree that using cold or warm water to wash off the butt hole after doing business. hehe.

William said...

Kim, all hemorrhoids are bad and troublesome. The bleeding and smell are really annoying! Is that thing still there? If so, I suggest you go and have it surgically removed. Normal practice is rubber banding which I think is very bad in the long run cos it constrict the butt hole and you will suffer for the rest of your life. If it is growing bigger, make sure that u take action sooner rather than later as I believe it may becomes cancerous. I know of a friend's friend who actually die cos of this thing. She said it was embarrassing lah...etc.

Orcagal said...

Oh.. i'm not sure but i think the extra flesh meat went in already. My friend suggested i keep pushing it in everytime after i do big business. Wow, i never knew it can be cancerous! Thanks for the advice. Will be more careful with it. Will have it surgically remove in the near future. Thanks again. :D

William said...

Kim, I pushed it in all the time for 20+ years. Then it suddenly inflamed and drive me up the wall. So I have it surgically removed. Rubber band is convenient but it has serious side effect. If you know the way, I think it is best done in China. They have very advanced medicine to stop pain after surgery.