Monday, July 21, 2008

Shooting Brilliant Sunset Photos (2)

I talked about shooting brilliant sunset photos in my earlier post. I noticed that the sunset look best immediately after the sun has gone off the horizon and for the next 20-30 minutes, the sky will display a series of most brilliant colors if the atmosphere is "correct".
In my earlier post, I used the fully automatic mode, ie, on my Nikon D200 it is called Program mode. Note that different camera program P mode (or Auto mode) differently. But I think the technique remains the same.
In this post, I am using Manual mode on my Nikon D3. This time I was armed with an external flash. But even if you have a build-in flash only, I personally believe that you still can take nice picture. Just do some experiment.
First, set it to Manual mode and here I used center-weighted metering because I wanted to read the exposure of the brighter spot. Then I take a test shot like above. As expected, the person in the picture was just a dark patch.

Satisfied with the result of the background, I switched on the flash and shoot! No metering compensation of any kind was applied here. No post processing on the above photos.
Note that manual mode is best (or at least I preferred it) for shooting this type of photos.
Time: 18:32; Metering: Center-weighted; 1/250 sec; F/9; ISO 400; Flash sync Mode: Front curtain; Auto white balance; Exposure compensation: 0EV; Exposure mode: Manual. Flash: SB-800.
Your constructive comment is appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome sunset photos William!

Just a small comment, watch out for the horizontal line cutting across the person's head. :)

William said...

Thanks, Mark. Excellent point! Over looked that. I always look out for verticle line hitting people's body but horizontal line is something I must also watch out.