Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cheap milk = lots of Yogurt
During the weekend, one of the hypermarkets in town had a big offer for fresh milk, normal price was RM6+. But on that Saturday, it was RM3+. Why? Because the expiry date was the day after. So mummy pestered me to make yogurt! After much convincing, I agreed and she bought 3 cartons (altogether 3 litres)


On Sunday night, I made 2 litres of yogurt. Ah Jon observed how I boiled the milk, etc. He commented that I should not cook the milk until 100 deg C. Perhaps he is right. But then I was just cautious as the milk will expire the next day.
The above is 1 litre of yogurt I made.

I tried to convinced all the boys to eat the yogurt on Monday morning. But was not successful as they were unsure whether it is nice. However, on Monday evening when I returned from work, one whole pot had been consumed! They all think that the fresh yogurt I made was fantastic! So they pestered me to make the last litre of fresh milk! They were all very keen to see how I made them. Well, it is so easy that you won't believe it!

First, I bought a box of natural yogurt from the supermarket - 900gm for RM23!! Very pricy! Anyway, I can used it many times.

Pour the fresh milk into a pot and heat it to 80 deg C (or you see the milk started to bubble at the side of the pot), stirring continuously.
Then cool it down quickly by putting the pot under running water to 40 degC or just warm.
Scoop 4 tablespoons of fresh natural yogurt into every litre of milk. Stir and mix well.
Transfer the milk to a glass jar (or whatever you have or leave it in the pot if you are lazy to wash), and cover it with a cloth or something. (I use aluminum foil).
Leave the milk in a warm place for 4 hours or overnight. Or wait until it is firm.

I actually transfer the jar to the oven and set the temperature to the lowest (just warm) and the yogurt was ready in less than 4 hours!

No comments: