Saturday, May 24, 2008

Me and my "garden"
I have three "bushes" of banana. I may call them "unhealthy" because they lack nutrient. The bunches of fruit weren't that big anymore. Anyway, this is how baby banana looks like. See the new shoot coming out from the base of the trunk.
The soil near the banana bush used to be yellow clay 25 years ago. However, after so many years of long grass, cutting, burning, etc, the patch now has some one foot deep "top soil" with plenty of earthworms.
Since Tuesday, I have been "gardening" and you can see 4 beds with ashes spread on the top ready for planting. The ashes were from the dry grass, leaves and branches. There are two more beds elsewhere in my humble garden. Normally, I have visitors like butterflies, small snakes, dragonflies, etc in the garden. But now, they are all gone as the land is now barren... haih, good and bad. On the far end, you see the mango tree with brownish leaves due to fire.
I have planted "King's veggie" and one bed of sweet potatoes.
This is the fruit from that "coconut" mango tree. This tree is from my late father. It is about 20 years old now. The fruit is extra sweet but doesn't really produce much. It is unlike the kuinin tree (local mango) which is taller than the house.
Ever wonder why I worked so hard? You can imagine me sweating all over. Ya, the motivation is from my poor blood test result which showed a "total cholesterol" of 6.0 mmol/L. This should ideally be less than 5.2.
This also reminded me the tip to good health from the bible:
Gen 3:17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life.
Gen 3:18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.
Gen 3:19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

God threw out Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden because of their disobedient by listening to the serpent. God demand obedient just like our own parents demand obedient from the children.

I need to sustain with the work in the garden. I need to produce lots of veggie, etc. Now that the land is barren, I must do something quickly. I need to knock off from work latest by 5:00pm.

No comments: